Wednesday 10 March 2010

Introducing...Claire Cameron Band

YMC chats to Claire from Claire Cameron Band
YMC: Have you always fronted a band or have you been a solo performer too?

Yes, I have been a solo performer for 12 years now really.  I started writing songs when I was 13 and have been performing them to whoever wants to listen ever since!  Claire Cameron Band started up a couple of years ago and was originally just me and a drummer, to which we added an acoustic guitar and bass.  This was an experimental period which evolved into a rockier outfit when my guitarist Pete Nash came on the scene and the CCB concept of tight guitar riffs complimenting the piano hooks was born.  I started my performing on the Leeds Circuit playing the Chemic Tavern piano and singing as a duo with my friend Charlie on acoustic guitar before I began to channel my energies into the full band musical offering.

YMC: Have you had to change the way you write for a band as opposed to solo songs?

When I write songs I tend to let my mood harness the piano lines as a starting point and then the melody picks itself out and the lyrics follow.  I still write songs in this order, but I think I am pushing myself as a composer since I've been playing with this band, as I can imagine the song with guitars and drums expanding it earlier on in the process.  It is also like rising to a challenge when I introduce new material to the guys as while I'm writing it I'm hearing where I would like them to have their moments, whereas before I had to fill the sound space on my own as an acoustic artist. It's much more exciting with a band to launch each song; it really feels like the material takes on a life of its own!

YMC: Who are your main influences, who are you listening to at the moment?

I listen to so many different artists and styles of music that it is difficult to pin point influences as I think the element of originality that we have as a band is there because we all bring so many influences to the table. I don't directly compare ourselves to particular artists myself; I tend to let our listeners make up their own minds on that one- but I can say that from the listeners' camp we've been compared to Alanis Morisette, A Perfect Circle, Third Eye Blind, Tori Amos, Led Zeppelin elements and Bic Runga to name a few!

At them moment I'm listening to Bat For Lashes, Lacuna Coil, Ani Di Franco,Tori Amos, Porcupine Tree, Joe Perry and I'm addicted to the soundtrack from a brilliant film called 'Once' which a hauntingly beautiful album.

YMC: You have been taking part in the Bikini Kill events at Elbow Rooms, is this a music night?

Yes Bikini Kill is a new monthly music night run by the lovely Lauren Moss which is all about combining the creative arts under one roof and results in a Thursday night with a difference featuring 3 red hot feature live music acts, each showcasing a fiery female musician, and the **Festival of Creativity** including:- Body painting
- Juggling
- Burlesque
- Poetry Art
- Artists and designer portfolio exhibits
the last one was fantastic fun and had a great atmosphere with all the Artists who played enjoying each other's sets and everyone having a really good time.  Next one is the 4th March at The Elbow Rooms.  This is the facebook event link if you would like to check it out http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=332054201554

YMC: What can people expect from a Claire Cameron Band gig?

When Claire Cameron Band perform you can expect a set that is tightly rehearsed and passionately delivered.  We put on a show which draws the audience right into the music and gets people dancing and enjoying themselves, which is really what live music is all about- we are entertainers and showpeople and that is what we do best! We interact with the audience, get them involved in the performance, singing along to the choruses and having a brilliant night- come and see us live and I'm sure you will agree!

YMC: Do you have any recording plans for this year?

We are in fact (at the time of writing this) recording tomorrow at a brand new studio in Halifax - Swing Kid Studios.  Really looking forward to recording some fresh material and spending time in the Studio again- I'm at my happiest recording and love to work at achieving the best sound possible from the band for the songs.  I'll be sure to ask for your opinion on the new recordings when they are ready for distribution!
Thanks so much for your time, and your interest in the band.  I'd like to take this opportunity to say how much we enjoy contributing to the Yorkshire Music Collective and are big supporters of the work you do.  See you at our next gigs hopefully- Jabez Clegg, Manchester 10th March then Pulse Bar, Barnsley 25th March.
Find out more about Claire Cameron Band on http://www.myspace.com/clairecameronmusic

No comments:

Post a Comment