Monday 15 March 2010

Introducing...Radio Gypsy

YMC chats to Olly from York/Leeds band Radio Gypsy

YMC: Who are the band members and how long have you been playing together?

Olly: The band members are myself on guitar duties, Tommi on Drums, Simon on Synths, Jonny on Bass and James on Lead Vox. After a slight line up change Radio Gypsy have been together for two years this April. The original premise of being a Rock N Roll Dance group is still there but the songs have definitely matured with a greater emphasis on Pop.    

YMC: Who writes the songs?

Olly: I'm the song writer of the band, I like to have the whole thing written in my head before I show the rest of the lads, the string arrangements, the harmonies the lot! I'll either make a quick demo of the song using logic recording software or alternatively show them it on an acoustic. I'm really fortunate to be in a band with wicked musicians whom can make these ideas come to life. 

YMC: How would you describe your music?

Olly: Songs to tap your feet and have a boogy too. But if your the philosophical type the songs all have meanings behind them, all the lyrics have a emotion, there not simply just melody fitting words!
 
YMC: Who are your main influences?

Olly: I'm sure if you were to ask the lads this question we'd get a list of bands from Jimi Hendrix to Kate Bush, but my main influences are The Beatles, Jack White, The Doors and Radiohead. Thats such a tough question to answer! 

YMC: You have played all over Yorkshire, has there been a particularly memorable gig for you?

Olly: I think my favourite gig has been a show at the Stone Roses Bar in York last December 09. The place was absolutely packed out, the crowd were jumping singing all the words back to us throughout the set. I thinks its fair to say Radio Gypsy perhaps don't get as much recognition as I'd like but that night the warm reception and genuine enthusiasm from the crowd really made me feel that Radio Gypsy were loved! It was mega and I'm looking forward to playing there again in May.

YMC: Do you have any recording plans for this year?

Olly: Yes, we're currently in the final stages of mixing our new EP with the lead track, entitled 'FightBack', which is all about standing up for yourself, or as Jack Black would put it 'sticking it to the man'! We've a super massive single launch night at Fibbers in York on Friday 23rd April. I'm happy to say we've the fantastic 'The talks' from Hull as main support for the evening along with funk band 'Hot Fudge' and Rock N Roll trio 'The Buccaneers' also supporting. I'm very excited about the new release, myself and singer James have been working really hard on getting a product together that we are proud of and so will be available on download everywhere with a music video to follow. exciting times! Hopefully this new recording will be the path way for bigger things for Radio Gypsy. We are actively seeking help from anybody who can help us and our music circulate towards the people. Thanks for reading, peace and love Olly/Radio Gypsy x

No comments:

Post a Comment