Wednesday 4 July 2012

A Family Day Out (New Model Army Gig)


I have been looking forward to Thursday 28th of June for a long time! New Model Army at Bradford’s newest live venue!

It started for me last week when I was able to interview Justin Sullivan and chat about the forthcoming gig. The interview is available on Soundcloud and will be transcribed in the blogs soon.

The day itself starts off early as I meet a Spanish friend who I met at a New Model Army gig in Barcelona some years ago. We head to Centenary Square which is one of the meeting points for “the family”, that amazing bunch of New Model Army fans who travel all over to see the band. My friend Nacho and I are one of the first to arrive and are sitting outside as a trickle of New Model Army Shirts start to appear. I am amazed at the brotherhood among New Model Army fans, all these people of different nationalities brought together by a band.

I am a New Model Army fan but not in the same league as the family gathered, that doesn’t seem to bother them however and I am soon made to feel very welcome and part of the group. It’s fun to be among all these people sharing their stories of NMA times and people’s ideal set list. One girl wants more purple NMA clothing and is discussing ideas with one of the merchandising team. One guy is in the industrial clogs that all NMA fans used to wear at one point, Nacho tells me that you can see him in the crowd in videos from the eighties, although he had hair then ;).

It’s not long before it seems we have “taken over” the bar in centenary square it’s a sea of NMA t-shirts.

Bit of disappointment amongst the German contingent as they are knocked out of Euro2012!

Then we head up to Utopia, the venue. NMA had announced yesterday that it was possible that Justin and Dean would do a short acoustic set before the main gig. We are there in good time in case and are not disappointed as they take to the stage to perform the set.

 I think this has to be the first time I’ve seen a mosh pit form for an acoustic set, but New Model Army fans are into the gig from word go and already people are on each other’s shoulders.  Great set and the venue is already full for it.

The venue is packed, there is a general feeling that we’re part of something special as there aren’t a lot of venues in Bradford for a hometown gig and who knows when we might get one again. The full band is on now kicking off proceedings with Get Me Out. It’s a dream of a set list, I’m sure everyone must have their favourite in here somewhere. I was positive that if there was one song they had to play today it would be Green and Grey and wasn’t disappointed.  It was followed by one of my favourites, Ocean Rising. There’s song’s from all the different era’s of New Model Army’s 32 year career. It was great to hear “I Love The World” in the encore – it seems that half the world is in here.

A few of us go for a meal afterwards, goodbyes are said with many already planning the next journey. A grand day out indeed.

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic write up of a fantastic day. If only Bradford had a decent music venue we could have this day again. Long gone are the days of bradford gigs. How about an outdoor gig like the guys did in Leeds, many moons again now, but I still remember the sound of the clogs arriving to gather 😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future. Bring Collective conscious to peace and unity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for providing recent updates regarding the concern, I look forward to read more. Bring Collective conscious to peace and unity

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merely a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style. buying 20 likes on instagram

    ReplyDelete